12 November 2011

Light headwinds.  Drizzle turning to real rain.  Twelve miles to the next anchorage; I have a rendezvous I'd like to keep.  I could motor.  I decide to sail.  The other yachties obviously think I'm nuts.  But my rig is easy to handle and efficient.  I have an excellent self-steering gear and I recently bought a new waterproof jacket, so I'll stay dry when I'm on deck.

I don't have to be on deck for long, of course.  Just get the sail set, adjust the steering gear and kill the engine that got me out of the anchorage.  I can lay my course!  I'm making 3 knots!  What's not to like?

A little while later I make my favourite rainy-day sailing drink.  So it's 9 00 am, but who's going to know?  I half fill a mug with heavy red wine.  I grate in nutmeg and sprinkle cinnamon; meanwhile the kettle burbles on the stove.  I pour water from it into the mug.  Steam rises.  Bliss.

Later the rain gets heavier and the wind lighter.  I end up motoring.  But I tried.  And really, really enjoyed my little boat doing her best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment